The Afrikaya Nursery School serves a maximum of 152 children from the age of 3 to the age of 7 years. They are split into 5 classes, with the class of youngest children having the lowest child to teacher ratio.
At the age of 7 years, each child is able to move on to a primary school, many of which are State run.
Head Teacher, Ismaila Sama, is qualified and very experienced in Early Childhood Development. He manages a team of 4 teachers and 1 teaching assistant.
All of the teachers have either qualified, or are currently studying for their Early Childhood Development Certificate, at Gambia College in Brikama.
- Sunkary Manneh Qualified Teacher: Teacher: Daycare
- Margaret Gomez Qualified Teacher: Teacher: Nursery 1
- Ismaila Sama Qualified and Experienced Teacher: Teacher Nursery 2 (Head Teacher)
- Noella Bassen Student Teacher final year: Teacher Nursery 3
- Baboucarr MBoob Qualified and 7 years experience: Teacher Nursery 4
- Mamu Njie Teaching Assistant, started training in 2018
- Tuti Jarju Nanny
- vacant post Nurse
- Sally Sanneh Cook
- Lala Sillah Assistant Cook
- Mas Keita Security
- Tiger the dog Security
- Kejaw Jawo Security
- Tanu Jallow Book keeper
The Afrikaya Nursery School is accessible to all, regardless of gender, ethnicity, tribe, religion, disability or family income. Many families struggle to pay school fees and these are encouraged to apply for sponsorship. Go to Sponsor a Child.
The school has no religious bias. The majority of the community are Sunni Muslim. Two of the teachers are Christian. Islam in the Gambia is characterized by its coexistence with other religions. Whenever celebrations take place at the school, the local Imams and Marabouts lead the community in prayers. Both Islamic and Christian festivals are adhered to.